Sunday, August 26, 2012

Closing Down My POS Time

I am literally elated to be able to mark down than my time in Switzerland is near complete.  Our debts are paid, Leah has already been securely relocated to the US with our two cats, and the plane ticket has been booked.  I feel as though I have walked through tremendous, heavy darkness with dangers at every step, but now a tiny glimmer of sunrise is visible.  I have been closing down work, writing applications for professorships in the US, and primarily finishing out our lease on this apartment that is affectionately referred to as my 'house arrest chamber'.  I am confident I have felt nearly every emotion possible with it being three months since I have been able to physically see my wife.  Recently, my sister began referring to my stay here as POS, which is much like being a POW only with 'war' replaced by 'switzerland'.  I have been keeping a short mental list of interesting things said to me since I have been forced to temporarily separate from Leah. All of them made me laugh maniacally.

1) "You are looking more like a crazy homeless man everyday." - Simon
2) "Are you going to make it?" - Numerous People
3) "It is like you are on house arrest." - Leah
4) "You can't leave. It is not allowed." - My apartment lawyer (you read that right, lawyer) referring to me after I payed off my lease completely, wanting to turn the keys in early, after forfeiting the rent.
5) "You could stay here longer and maybe even get a permanent position at the EPFL." - One of my bosses.
6) "Why is it you are here again?" - Me to myself

Anyway, I am leaving the place of cat hunting and horse meat eating soon. Note the stipulation: The cat must be more than 200 yards from their home.  We kept a close watch on ours.


1 comment:

  1. Aside from our wedding day, your return is going to be the best day of my life! I'm so thankful for your sacrifice, your strength and your love! This whole experience really tried to break us in every way possible, but as a team, we emerged victorious! I love you endlessly.

    "...in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us..." (Romans 8:28-40)

    ReplyDelete