Sunday, August 26, 2012

All Systems are Go

A few days ago, I a had an article published in Angewandte Chemie (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201205007) which I am exceptionally proud of.  ACIE is a great journal, and it comes at a time when I am just beginning to submit applications which is rather convenient. It will no doubt aid in the job hiring process. Aside form that, this article is a completely original idea carried from a simple paper drawing into a useful, much better understood molecule series.  I was able to learn a ton from this experience with regard to how to carry a project from dirt to prosperity. I learned several new techniques, developed a personal strategy for how to do this, and in my own opinion demonstrated that chemistry does not need to be reduced to a purely applied science in the field of solar energy.   I was skeptical of this last point not long ago since the majority of articles in the solar cell field focus on physics with the chemistry as a means to get there.  I had even gone so far as write several proposals outside of the solar energy field since when you yield to becoming an applied science your prosperity is much closer tied to commercialization and the success of materials scientist.  Keeping the chemistry aspect to a much more fundamental physical organic chemistry aspect is where I want to be, since I suspect it should allow for a much more sustainable research group. Of course it is beneficial to have a variety of applications upon finishing a project, but I think it is troublesome to be dictated by these applications since your success and failure is directly tied to things like China using tax dollars to sell solar cells at a substantial loss for the last 3-5 years to attempt to drive all other competitors out of the market to set up a monopoly.   Which appears to be a working strategy considering companies crazy enough to try to compete against the Chinese tax on 1 billion people end up in big trouble *cough* Solyndra *cough*. And they are not the first, and will not be the last.

Overall, I am ready to get on with my own group doing some good research which is fundamentally interesting.  I've been in the academic circuit now for near 12 years and it is finally time to see if my efforts this far will be rewarded with the professorship position I have been focused on. I'm optimistic given that there are more than 20 position listing so far this year for what I do.  So I guess providing I am in the top 20 applicants, Leah and I should have somewhere to go. Just for fun I made a map with all the listing locations marked that I am applying to.


No comments:

Post a Comment