Thursday, April 18, 2013

France

Not surprisingly, Leah and I went to France several times since we were living so close.  What is surprising is how agreeable we found the country.  (Disclaimer: I cannot speak for Paris.  I have heard a lot of negative things from people I trust on this issue who have told me the rest of France isn't like Paris.)  What  I can speak for is Evian-les-Bain.  We have been there multiple times.  It is only about a 30 minute ferry ride across lake Geneva from Lausanne.  It is a bit of a tourist town with many seasonal shops but we still enjoy it.  Though this may come as blasphemy to many of my friends especially those from the midwest, Evian reminds me of the US.

One of the restaurants we like has random goofy stuff on the wall including a license plate from each of the 50 US states.  The food in general has terrific flavor, or at least flavors I am used to from the US...and something we could learn from is having an ice cream stop on almost every corner.  And to add to our enjoyment, apparently the French have found a way to keep the cost of living low.  A reasonable plate is about 15 euros which is nice compared to the 30 francs I expect to pay in Switzerland. (20 dollars vs 33 dollars)  While I haven't forgot the delicious items for sale at Texas Roadhouse or Outback for 20$ and below, Evian is provided us with delightful food affordably to hold us over.

Really the point of all of this is to say, contrary to the stereotype I had painted for me long ago in the US,  France seems to be a reasonable place.

Its across the lake in the background:

No comments:

Post a Comment